Friday, August 19, 2011

History in the Making


It feels like last week, but okay, maybe it was two weeks ago, I had the privilege of going to my last scrapbooking convention for a while. Yes, that is right, I am going on the shelf for a bit. They thought I was too rowdy, and they want me to stay home and have a baby. Silly people...
We stayed in the Gaylord Opryland Hotel, which you may recall was under water last year when we were supposed to have our event. Here are some shots from the balcony of my room (that's right I said my room had a balcony...)






Needless to say, it wouldn't be a good show if the pregnant lady didn't go touring. We spent our day at the Hermitage the home of Andrew Jackson (for those that don't know he was the 7th president of the United States- it's okay, I didn't know either, the internet is a wonderful thing.) James Parton described him this way: “Andrew Jackson, I am given to understand, was a patriot and a traitor. He was one of the greatest of generals, and wholly ignorant of the art of war. A writer brilliant, elegant, eloquent, without being able to compose a correct sentence, or spell words of four syllables. The first of statesmen, he never devised, he never framed a measure. He was the most candid of men, and was capable of the profoundest dissimulation. A most law-defying, law-obeying citizen. A stickler for discipline, he never hesitated to disobey his superior. A democratic autocrat. An urbane savage. An atrocious saint."
We all came to the conclusion that he was a bit of a rude, mean man. Put precisely in those terms. However, he was the only president to leave the white house with the country out of debt...that says something.
Here are some of our exploits...
This movie about Andrew Jackson was the best ever, they even had the PBS special for sale in the gift shop. Move over Baby Einstein.


The driveway to the house. Where's the concrete? One thing that I do remember is that Andrew Jackson brought in trees from the places where he fought in the war.
A great option for Time Out...

We had a great day roaming around Nashville, even if we did get caught in the rain. :) Swollen ankles and all it was a good last trip...now up on the shelf I go.

No comments:

Post a Comment