Sunday, August 23, 2009

5K-Personal Victory

I did a 5K Saturday, and let's just say I spent the week before all wrapped up in nerves and very negative thoughts. I have just recently started running (I noticed my stress tends to melt away when I do.... :) ) and I am honestly someone that is not very good at it. I do it for a while and then I tend to give up on it. Well, I finally got sick of saying "Oh, I should sign up for that race" or "Oh, I could do that race" So, a month ago I signed myself up. It wasn't hard (the signing up part) it was the week of, I plagued myself with thoughts and dreams of being last place, and huffing and puffing, and of course....being dragged out of Sugarhouse Park on a stretcher.
So, game day was equally nerve racking. I got there and got everything situated and got my number, AND THEN had another 45 minutes to think about running away, and telling my husband I was sick and we needed to go home... THEN I found a friend. I still don't know her name, but she asked if I wanted to stretch with her. She rides her bike 75 miles a day....... :0. She has three kids and was so sweet, she talked my ear off the entire time! She really was my life line. I kept tabs on her the whole race. Fought of a nasty side ache on the second mile. AND finally, I saw my husband waving and cheering me on from his place on the grass with the dog. I cried....I won't lie, most of you know how emotional I am, and love me anyway. The second time I saw him I did it again, and then went back to concentrating on getting my side ache to subside. I came around the third time and was happy to be at the end, and there he was again, closer to the finish line....it made my heart melt, but then I looked at the clock as I went jello legged through the finish line......I almost stopped DEAD (literally) in my tracks.....Did I read that right? 33.12 I did it! Not only did I do it, but I knocked several minutes off my time at the gym this last week and was running 10 minute miles! I was doing a dance (while trying not to throw up)! PERSONAL VICTORY! It was so rewarding, I have never felt better! Again, ran to my husband (okay, so it was more like jelloed to Scott) And there I was again crying! Pathetic, I know, but I was so overcome with emotion. I came in 70th place in an age group of 129, and I am already planning my next one on the 11th of September. Buckle Up :) My cute friend came in a little behind me, and though I didn't see her again...frankly I was probably crying too much....I am very grateful for her whoever she is :)
Bottom line.......I know I can do anything that I sign myself up for... :) Snicker Snicker :)

1 comment:

  1. Good for you!!! I should have come and ran with you. HAHAHAHAHA you would have been dragging my butt over the finish line :)

    ReplyDelete